Most of us look forward to our holidays in order to have a break from day to day life, so if you fall ill it can be devastating, and may result in your entire holiday being ruined or cut short.
If you become ill then naturally your first priority is to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Whilst there’s often not much you can do once you become sick, there are some things you can do to help yourself and your claim:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible
- Stay hydrated
- Report your illness to your holiday rep or hotel
- It may be best to isolate yourself to prevent your illness spreading to others
- Document any issues with food or hygiene by taking photos or videos
Once you return home and are feeling better then it is the time to seek justice for the suffering caused by your holiday illness. There is a three year limit to making a claim, so it is best to contact us as soon as you feel better. If you wish to make a claim as a result of your illness, our team are here to help, you can call us today on 0800 567 7866 from your landline or 0333 577 8866 from your mobile or fill out our call back form.
The signs of an illness can vary, but it is important to recognise and act quickly so that you cann seek the right medical attention accordingly and prevent prolonged infection. Here are some possible symptoms:
- Lack of appetite
- Muscle Ache
- Higher temperature
- Stomach/abdominal pain
How can you prevent sickness abroad?
Sickness abroad can unfortunately happen when we least expect it, but the following steps should reduce your chances of falling ill and help you keep safe:
- Plan ahead, make sure you eat healthily on the run up to your holiday to give your body its best chance of fighting back
- Drink plenty of water, but avoid water that has come from the tap
- Avoid ice-cubes where possible as they are likely to be from tap water
- Seek shade to prevent sun-stroke
- Keep an eye out for food that has been out for a long period of time
- Make sure you check that all food is cooked thoroughly and is not reheated or uncovered
- Wash your hands before eating and drinking
Does it matter if I did not book a package holiday?
Unfortunately we only deal with claims covered by the package holiday regulations, therefore if you did not book a package holiday (whereby accommodation and travel are booked together) then you will not be able to make a claim through us. However, you may be able to make a claim through your travel insurance, and it is worth contacting them to find out if they can help you.