Leave a message

First4Lawyers logofirst4lawyers
  • Mobile navigation
  • 0333 920 8814
  • Request a callback
  • Request a callback
    Not sure what you need? Request a callback
    Full Name *
    Contact Number *
    How Can We Help?
    Best Callback Time?
  • Get in touch
Not sure what you need? Request a callback
Full Name *
Contact Number *
How Can We Help?
Best Callback Time?

Have you suffered adverse reactions to vaginal mesh implant surgery?

The issue of urinary incontinence, bladder and pelvic organ prolapse is a sensitive matter, but ongoing health problems with the mesh surgery used to treat the condition has led to many women seeking medical negligence legal advice.

What are vaginal mesh implants?

Vaginal mesh has been a topic of discussion in the news recently.  Also known as urogynaecological mesh or transvaginal mesh, it's a procedure which is most commonly used to treat pelvic organ, such as bladder, prolapse and stress urinary incontinence.  Mesh implants, more generally, are also the NHS-recommended treatment for hernias.

Mesh implants are made of a type of plastic called polypropylene and are net-like structures, often in the form of tape, ribbon and mesh.  They are inserted, using keyhole or open surgery, to act as a barrier and help repair damaged or weakened tissue by forming a support for the tissue to grow over.

What is the issue?

NHS data suggests one in 15 women will experience problems with vaginal mesh implants, resulting in them having to have more surgery to have them removed.

Typical symptoms include:

  • Pain in the surgical area
  • Pain when walking or running
  • Painful sex
  • Pressure or pulling sensation in the vagina or pelvis
  • Incontinence
  • Constipation – difficulty going to the toilet

I have these symptoms, what should I do?

The symptoms don’t always occur straight after surgery.  In some cases it has been years later.

If you are experiencing pain and discomfort and you think it might be due to mesh surgery you have received, the first thing is to seek medical advice as soon as you can.  It is best to get advice from a specialist medical professional and your doctor can refer you to one.

They will assess your symptoms and evaluate whether the mesh implant is likely to be the cause of your pain and suffering.

You might also like to get in touch with our specialist solicitors, who will give you free, no-obligation legal advice about medical negligence and your rights.

Can I claim for medical negligence?

Many people are beginning to take action against the NHS for the suffering they have experienced due to vaginal mesh implants.  We recommend you start exploring your claim as soon as possible, to allow our expert solicitors to help you through this difficult time, with the minimum of fuss and stress.

We understand that claiming may not be the first thing on your mind, as you should take the time to emotionally and physically recover as best as you can. However, for severe injuries to the cervical area, compensation could be as much as £93,500. It does depend on how serious the damage is, as well as the short or long-ranging financial implications.

Facts and figures

Around 20% of women experience bladder problems that affect their daily lives

Around 20% of women experience bladder problems that affect their daily lives.

(Source: European Society of Genetics)

75,000 vaginal implants were carried out in 2016/17

Between 2006 and 2016 just over 75,000 transvaginal implants were carried out.

(Source: The Guardian)

Common questions

What is medical negligence?

The phrase ‘medical negligence’ best describes an incident in which a person has suffered harm or injury at the hands of a medical professional. 

I’ve been the victim of medical negligence. What should I do?

You should seek medical advice to determine if you are receiving the right treatment to recover, and contact us at First4Lawyers to make a claim. Our team of expert solicitors will handle your case sensitively, and make sure that you get the outcome you deserve.

Am I entitled to make a medical negligence claim?

Yes, if you or a loved one have been let down by a healthcare professional, or have suffered as a result of sub-standard care. At First4Lawyers we match you with an experienced solicitor who understands the difficult time you might be going through.

Do you have any more questions? 

How to guides

Learn more about this area of law and what you need to know:

Letter of complaint about NHS service

A guide to writing a letter of complaint about an NHS treatment or service

Read more

How to file a medical negligence claim

In this guide, we’ll help you understand, how to file a medical negligence claim

Read more

Get in touch today - we can help with your claim

Not sure what you need? Request a callback
Full Name *
Contact Number *
How Can We Help?
Best Callback Time?