Slip, trip or fall claims

We understand slips, trips and falls can be painful, embarrassing and, sometimes, cause injuries that stay with you. If you've fallen because of anything from uneven paving to a supermarket spillage, we might be able to help you get compensation.

Start a Claim

Not sure what you need?

Request a callback at a time that is convenient to you, or call us 24/7 on 08005677866

As you'll know, slips, trips or falls are often the result of walking or running on an untidy, uneven or poorly-maintained surface. According to the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) there are 111,000 injuries due to slips, trips or falls each year. There's a chance that in a lot of those situations, those people could have claimed for compensation.

What qualifies as a slip, trip or fall?

Slips, trips or falls can happen because of things like:

  • Tripping over wires, boxes or litter
  • Falling from height because of something like a faulty ladder
  • Slips on wet or icy surfaces due to a lack of warning signs in the area
  • Trips over uneven paving slabs
  • Tripping down staircases which have been poorly maintained

Who can I claim against?

In most cases, slips, trips or falls you'll find the party at fault is whoever holds responsibility for where they take place. For incidents in public spaces, the local council is usually at fault because it’s the council’s responsibility to ensure they’re safe to use. Indoors, it’s whoever owns the building – the business owner or, in the case of state-run buildings, the council.

How much can I claim?

The amounts vary quite a bit because the types of fall you, or anyone, can have can be so different. For minor injuries, such as fractures, you may be entitled to around £3,000, but for some more serious injuries, like severe spinal injury, you could claim as much as £141,150, depending on whether the back or some organs become impaired.

How long do I have to make a claim?

The short answer is, it depends. Earlier is always better because it means we can help you with your recovery, as well as seeking both compensation and justice, whilst ensuring no one else gets injured by any defect. But if you're not sure whether you've left it too long, your best bet is to get in touch with us, or request a callback at the top of the screen. One of our advisers will be able to answer all of your questions.

I’ve suffered a slip, trip or fall. What should I do?

Your priority should be to ensure you seek the right medical attention and make a record of the accident. Once you’re ready, get in touch with First4Lawyers and we will take care of your claim. During our initial assessment, we will talk you through the claims process and assess the impact the injury has had on your life. Your case will then be managed by the appropriate specialist who will seek compensation for your injury and any other losses, as well as helping you seek the treatment you need to make a full recovery.