Road Traffic Accident Claims in Scotland

Request a Callback

Request a callback at a time that is convenient to you, or call us 24/7 on 0141 530 1934

According to the Scottish government’s latest statistics, more than three in five personal injury cases involved a road traffic accident in 2016-17, with 4,955 cases initiated in 2016-17. If this type of accident has affected you, there is something you can do about it.

Making a road traffic accident claim in Scotland doesn’t have to be complicated. First4Lawyers can help you through the process. Just click here to start your claim.

What kind of road traffic accident can I claim for?

You can make a compensation claim if you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident that wasn’t your fault in the last three years. The most popular claims for road traffic accidents include:

  • Car accidents
  • Motorbike accidents
  • Accidents on public transport
  • Whiplash
  • Passenger accidents
  • Bike and cycling accidents
  • Pedestrian accidents
  • Coach accidents
  • Taxi accidents
  • Hit and runs
  • Fatal road accidents

Is there a time limit on road traffic accident claims in Scotland?

Typically, your accident will have to have happened in the last three years to be able to claim compensation, although there are exceptions to this rule.

If a child was under 16 when they were involved in a road traffic accident, they can make a claim at any point until their 19th birthday.

In addition, there is no time limit if you are making a claim on behalf of someone without the mental capacity to claim for themselves.

I was involved in a road traffic accident – what are my rights?

Under Scottish law, you are entitled to compensation for any injury you suffered in a road traffic accident that wasn’t your fault. Compensation is typically recovered from the responsible party’s insurance. However, if they were uninsured at the time of the accident, compensation can be paid through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

After a road traffic accident, you are entitled to the chance to make things right by returning you to the position you were in before it happened.

What should I do if I was involved in a road traffic accident?

After reporting your accident to the relevant authorities, you should make sure you seek medical attention. You may have suffered an injury that is worse than it feels in the immediate aftermath – such as whiplash, which can take some time to develop – so a thorough examination is advised.

Any claim you may make will also be strengthened by a medical report detailing your injuries.

If you were involved in a road traffic accident that wasn’t your fault and caused you to suffer physical harm, you should then seek legal help. First4Lawyers can introduce you to a specialist road traffic accident solicitor, who will likely be able to take on your case on a no win no fee* basis.

This means you won’t have to pay anything upfront and there will be nothing to pay if your claim is not successful.

How much can I claim?

Each accident and injury is different, so the amount of compensation you can claim depends on your specific circumstances.

For more information on what you could be entitled to, see our compensation calculator.

You can make a claim for general damages, which is the compensation you receive for the pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of your injury, and for special damages, which covers any financial losses you may have suffered due to your injury.

I think I have a claim – what do I do next?

If you’ve been injured in a road traffic accident in Scotland, give us a call, request a call back at the top of your screen or just click here to start your claim.

There’s no obligation to proceed and everything is done at your pace. All you have to do is tell us your situation and we’ll tell you if we think you have a claim.

Get in touch today - we can help with your claim 08005677866