Free injury claim assessment

0333 577 8866
Start your claim online

Death or injury of a family member

Accidents leading to the death of a family member can be devastating both emotionally and financially. If the accident was someone else’s fault it may be possible to claim compensation.

Regrettably fatal accidents can happen on the road or at work. Deaths on the road could include a driver passenger or pedestrian. Accidents at work leading to fatalities include falling from heights, electrocution and crushing and it is estimated that there are four deaths a week arising at work.

If the person killed was the main breadwinner, then the effects for the partner and family can be serious and a successful claim for compensation will be essential if the family left behind are going to have a chance of some semblance of financial security.

Different circumstances

Every claim is different of course and the compensation will vary from case to case. Many claims will take months to conclude where others can take much longer, it depends on the circumstances surrounding the accident, the responsibility for the same and of course the extent of the compensation claim itself.

The claim for compensation can include an amount for the pain and suffering of the deceased which might be limited depending on the actual circumstances and repayment of financial losses such as funeral costs. There will also be a bereavement award for the deceased’s spouse or parents. Cohabitee in long term (over two years) can claim as can partners in a Civil Partnership.

Anyone who can prove a financial dependency on the person who has been killed may be able to claim compensation. This may be obvious in the case of a widow or widower and young children but could include for example grandchildren dependent on a grandparent. That financial dependency can amount to a significant award of compensation.

There are time limits for making these claims and if you are in this awful position, you should seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity.

Claims by family members

Family members can also make claims if someone is seriously injured in an accident. Indeed in the case of a brain damaged individual, the claim will have to be brought by a husband or wife or parent although the Official Solicitor (a statutory body) will also act in the event no member of the family can.

Claims for the seriously injured can include full or part time nursing care, adaptations to the home or alternative properties, loss of earnings and future loss of earnings and of course compensation for the injury itself. These sorts of awards can run into millions depending on the nature of the injury and the individual involved and the awards are closely monitored by the courts.

These sorts of claims can take some time to conclude and can be extremely complex so you should contact a solicitor if a member of your family has suffered life threatening injuries and has been left in an incapacitated state.

Start your claim »


Call us now on 0800 567 7866

Call us now on 0333 577 8866

Request a call back

Fill in your details below for a free callback.

Personal Injury Awards 2013 Winner
Personal Injury Awards 2012 Winner
Customer Reviews

No Win No Fee Solicitors

Unlike many no win no fee solicitors, we have a genuine interest in claims for accidental personal injury. We're not just out to get compensation - though it can help ease the pain of a fall at work or a road accident - we want justice too, and the fully qualified, specialist no win no fee solicitors we put you in contact with will do their best to get both for you.

Your personal injury claim will be handled professionally from the outset, with an easy-to-use compensation guide to help you on your way. If you want to make a claim through trusted, professional personal injury lawyers, we can help.

Start your claim »


  • Mr Moore

    Mr Moore suffered nerve damage to his neck and shoulder when he was assaulted by a care home resident suffering from mental illness. His injuries left him unable to work...

    Read more »
  • Mrs Miller

    Mrs Claire Miller, from Southampton, was injured when another driver hit her car on the motorway, causing whiplash and injury to her back and hip...

    Read more »
  • Mrs Philips

    The parking payment machine was situated in a dark, dingy area and when Mrs Phillips turned around to walk away after paying she stumbled and landed on a sheared metal...

    Read more »
  • Mr Brown

    Mr Brown, a 27 year old football coach and match day steward from Brighton, suffered from a severely lacerated hand after falling down the stairs...

    Read more »
  • Mr Sinclair

    Mr Sinclair was walking across a wood floor area, which had been laid on top of several beams, when he stepped onto a part that hadn’t been properly secured...

    Read more »

Latest News

  • 23 May How much can soap stars claim? More »
  • 17 Feb Stay safe on the road in the wind More »
  • 17 Feb Surge in weather related injuries expected as ‘red weather warning’ issued More »

Call us now on 0800 567 7866 or

Call us now on 0333 577 8866 or