First4Lawyers can help you take, or defend against, defamation actions

Defamatory statements can be damaging to a person’s livelihood and personally distressing, but you can take action to protect your name.

Not sure what you need?

Request a callback at a time that is convenient to you, or call us 24/7 on 0808 159 9899

What is defamation?

Defamation is a false statement (written, visual or verbal) published to a third party with the intent of causing serious harm to an individual's reputation.  It is covered by the Defamation Act 2013.

Lord Atkin described defamation during the case of Sim v Stretch in 1935, when he summed it up as: "a statement which tends to lower the plaintiff in the minds of right-thinking members of society generally, and in particular to cause him to be regarded with feelings of hatred, contempt, ridicule, fear and disesteem...".  This summary still applies today.

If you believe the statement made against you, and published to a third party, has damaged your reputation, then you may have a claim.

However, if the statement was merely insulting, vulgar or offensive but did not harm your reputation, then a court would not rule in your favour.

What are the different types of defamation?

There are two main types of defamation:

  1. Slander
    This is a defamatory statement that is announced in a temporary way, such as being spoken in public, to damage your reputation.
  2. Libel
    If the statement was published in a more permanent way, such as writing – either in print or online – then the person who made the statement may be guilty of a type of defamation known as libel.
    In most libel cases, the person responsible for publishing the defamatory statement will be held liable for it. However, there are an increasing number of cases involving defamatory statements published online where the person who wrote the statement is held to account, rather than the person responsible for the website on which it appeared (although the latter does still occur).


Who can make a claim for defamation?

Individuals, companies and business can claim defamation, however unincorporated businesses and public bodies, such as councils, cannot.

Individuals have to prove 'serious harm' to reputation; whereas businesses must prove serious financial loss or damage.

The case must be brought within a year of the statement being published. Defamation cases do sometimes go to trial, but are more often settled out of court.

Why choose First4Lawyers?

Expert legal services for your individual needs - whether it's for home, family or work.

Free initial case review
Discuss - Orange - Small

Our fully trained legal advisors are happy to offer initial guidance and advice for free

Fixed price consultation
NWNF - Orange - Small

Phone or face-to-face meeting with a legal expert from just £149

No pressure
Manage - Orange - Small

We offer advice with no obligation.  We never cold-call or apply pressure to our customers

Get in Touch

What happens in a defamation action?

If found guilty of defamation, a court can award damages to compensate the claimant for any suffering they endured. This is known as general damages, but you could also have to pay special damages to compensate for any loss of earnings or potential loss of business suffered by the claimant.

The court will often pass an injunction to prevent the defamatory act from reoccurring. Breaching an injunction can lead to a prison sentence.

What are the defences if I'm accused of defamation?

If a claim of defamation is made against you, there is a defence if:

  1. You can prove the statement you made was an honestly held, non-malicious opinion that can be justified.
  2. The statement was privileged, for example if it was made during parliamentary proceedings.
  3. You can prove it was made out of a moral or social duty, such as it being a matter of public interest.
  4. You are the owner of a website and can prove you did not post the content yourself. There is no defence, however, if you can't identify the person who posted the statement; or the claimant made a complaint to you about the online content.

Defences are a complex area, so you should seek expert legal advice before building a defence case.

I need legal advice about defamation - what should I do next?

First4Lawyers can talk you through the process of making or defending a defamation action. Our legal advisors will discuss your individual requirements with you and allocate you a solicitor who is a specialist in this area.  Get in touch for a free, no-obligation chat.

Get in touch today to discuss your requirements 08005677866

How to guides

Learn about this area of the law and what you need to know:

Do you have a legal question?

  • Get it answered within 60 minutes when you call during normal office hours.
  • Free initial advice from our trained legal advisors.

Holly was amazing, her attentiveness, understanding and her general customer care was outstanding. Made me feel very comfortable speaking to her. I could not recommend a better company to speak to and with such amazing staff.

Miss Emma J

I was dealt with the most kind and caring manner by Rebeka. Also very efficient by explaining everything I had to know and connecting me to a solicitors who would deal with my claim. Thank you!

Mrs A Hill

Nice staff, very helpful and very easy to deal with. The initial part only took a few minutes. Staff also very knowledgeable and know what they are talking about.

Mr Richardson

Spoke with a lovely advisor called Chelsea who was great. She listened to everything that I said and gave brilliant advice. Her customer service was brilliant, she was very polite and gave me all the information about what are the next steps.

Mr N Dean

Get in touch today to discuss your requirements 08005677866

It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing