Legal advice on child matters after divorce

First4Lawyers will work for the fairest resolution when couples split and disagreements happen over custody, visitation or any other subject where a child is involved.

Not sure what you need?

Request a callback at a time that is convenient to you, or call us 24/7 on 0808 159 9899

You might want to set up a child support arrangement. This can be done through the Child Maintenance Services (CMS), yet there are lots of benefits to making a private agreement between yourself and your partner and there’s plenty of assistance available to help you set these up.

If you want to know more about how we can help you, contact the child law specialists at First4Lawyers.

Why set up a private child maintenance agreement?

A private child maintenance agreement can help you maintain a cordial relationship with the other parent.

It gives you added flexibility, for example you can agree between you how much you need to pay, and when to make payments.  And if your financial circumstances change, you can adjust your arrangement with immediate effect, as long as the other parent agrees.

The ways in which you make payments may be flexible – such as in the form of new shoes or school uniforms for your child instead of cash.

Why choose First4Lawyers?

Expert legal services for your individual needs - whether it's for home, family or work.

Free initial case review
Discuss - Orange - Small

Our fully trained legal advisors are happy to offer initial guidance and advice for free

Fixed price consultation
NWNF - Orange - Small

Phone or face-to-face meeting with a legal expert from just £149

No pressure
Manage - Orange - Small

We offer advice with no obligation.  We never cold-call or apply pressure to our customers

Get in Touch

What happens if a private agreement breaks down?

Some private agreements are not legally binding, such as the private agreement form that is available to download on the Child Maintenance Options website. This means that if you or the other parent does not keep to the agreement, there is no way to enforce it via the courts.

In this case, you may have to go through the lengthy Child Maintenance Service (CMS) processes. If you do not know how much the parent paying maintenance earns, or if they run their own company through which they can control the income you receive, it would be advisable to seek legal advice.

It is possible to draw up a private agreement that is legally binding, however. To start with, both parents would have to agree expressly to enter into a legal agreement. It would be wise to record this in the form of a written document.

If you do decide that you'd like to record your private agreement as a legally binding document, then it is highly advisable that you to talk it through with a solicitor first. We can help you do this.

I want to draw up a private agreement with my ex - what happens next?

An experienced child law solicitor can play a big part in helping to sort out issues involving all aspects of caring for children, from issues in the home, to finances, and especially maintenance agreements.

We will advise you on collaborative law, mediation and all of the legal processes you can use to sort things out for the good of your children, as well as yourself.

Get in touch today to discuss your requirements 08005677866

How to guides

Learn more about this area of law and what you need to know:

Do you have a legal question?

  • Get it answered within 60 minutes when you call during normal office hours.
  • Free initial advice from our trained legal advisors.

Holly was amazing, her attentiveness, understanding and her general customer care was outstanding. Made me feel very comfortable speaking to her. I could not recommend a better company to speak to and with such amazing staff.

Miss Emma J

I was dealt with the most kind and caring manner by Rebeka. Also very efficient by explaining everything I had to know and connecting me to a solicitors who would deal with my claim. Thank you!

Mrs A Hill

Nice staff, very helpful and very easy to deal with. The initial part only took a few minutes. Staff also very knowledgeable and know what they are talking about.

Mr Richardson

Spoke with a lovely advisor called Chelsea who was great. She listened to everything that I said and gave brilliant advice. Her customer service was brilliant, she was very polite and gave me all the information about what are the next steps.

Mr N Dean

Get in touch today to discuss your requirements 08005677866

It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing