Tinnitus Claims: Can I Make One?

Reading time: 3 mins

Carrie Tennick, January 12, 2022

Tinnitus can make normal daily life hugely challenging.

Often caused by working environments, it’s a hearing condition that means you hear noises others can’t.

In some cases, you could be awarded compensation after developing tinnitus. Here is our guide to tinnitus claims and whether you could make one.

What is tinnitus?

The NHS defines tinnitus as “hearing noises that are not caused by sounds coming from the outside world”.

You could experience tinnitus differently to someone else. Your tinnitus could sound like buzzing, humming, hissing, ringing, pulsing, throbbing, whooshing or even music.

With tinnitus, you could hear these sounds in one or both ears. You could also hear it in your head rather than your ears.

It could be something you hear all the time or it could come and go – often for no apparent reason.

Tinnitus can be caused by hearing loss, which itself can be caused by exposure to loud noises.

When you can make a tinnitus claim

To make a claim for tinnitus compensation, you’ll need to show that someone else caused you to develop the condition.

When your ear injury is caused by your work, tinnitus claims are typically made against your employer. That’s because they should have protected you.

This protection could take the form of providing hearing protection, limiting exposure to loud noises, implementing noise-control equipment or carrying out health checks for employees at risk of hearing damage or tinnitus.

If your work has led to you developing tinnitus, your employer will usually be liable.

Some common industries responsible for causing tinnitus include:

  • Call centres
  • Construction
  • Highway maintenance
  • Manufacturing
  • Military
  • Music and entertainment

Time limits for tinnitus claims

Most personal injury claims have a deadline of three years of the accident or injury happening – but it can be difficult to do so with many industrial disease claims.

That’s because you may have only developed the condition recently or you may have just found out that it was your work that caused it. There can be exceptions to the deadline with work-related illness claims.

But it’s important to remember that tinnitus claims have to be submitted within three years of the date of your diagnosis.

If you’re not sure whether you still have time, the best thing to do is talk to an expert who can help you work out if you have a valid claim.

Why should you make a tinnitus claim?

In many cases, tinnitus can’t be cured. That means it’s a condition you have to live with for the rest of your life. That could cause real disruption for you.

If your tinnitus was caused by someone else’s negligence, you could be entitled to make a compensation claim. That compensation could help you cover the costs of treatment for your tinnitus, which could make living with the condition less stressful.

Our tinnitus claim solicitors will typically help you get the treatment that could help with your condition.

The NHS suggests that counselling or therapy could be helpful for learning to live with tinnitus. You may need to pay for private sessions. Any compensation you’re awarded would help you do that.

Use our tinnitus compensation calculator to find out how much you could be entitled to.

To find out if you could make a No Win No Fee claim and how First4Lawyers could help you do that, just get in touch. Give us a call or start your claim online and we’ll take it from there.

Tinnitus doesn’t have to be something you just put up with it.

Helpful Links:

British Tinnitus Association

Employers’ Responsibilities Around Noise at Work

Tinnitus – NHS


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing