Farm and Agricultural Accident Claims

Farming is one of the UK’s most dangerous industries with multiple accidents happening each year. If you’ve suffered an agricultural accident, you could make a claim.


Fill in our simple form and get a call back at a time to suit you.
Alternatively our team are on hand 24/7 to discuss your case.
You can call them on:
0800 567 7866

What are the most common farming accidents?

Most agricultural workers will be aware that working in the farming industry can be extremely dangerous. Heavy machinery, vehicles and unpredictable animals are all potential hazards that could lead to serious injury or illness.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that 21 people lost their lives in farming accidents in 2022/23. And the rate of non-fatal accidents amongst agricultural workers is significantly higher than those of any other industry.

Some of the most common farming accidents include:

There are also further dangers for farm workers that come in the form of confined spaces. These include fuel storage tanks, grain silos and slurry pits. Working in any of these enclosed areas carries the risk of asphyxiation, drowning and exposure to toxic gases.

As well as injuries, farm and agricultural workers are also at risk of developing work-related illnesses. Some of the most common conditions include:

  • Farmer's lung – A disease that arises from inhaling dust from mouldy hay, grain or straw
  • Noise-induced hearing loss – Often a result of spending long periods of time around loud farming equipment and animals
  • Occupational asthma – Caused by breathing in grain and poultry dust

If you’ve suffered an accident while working on a farm or you’ve developed a work-related disease, you could be entitled to compensation. Our friendly claims advisors can let you know if you have a strong case.

What can be done to prevent farming accidents?

Under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, your employer has a responsibility to make sure you’re as safe as possible at work.

This should include regularly assessing the risks in your workplace and putting practicable measures in place to reduce the likelihood of accidents happening.

For example, on a farm you’re likely to be working with heavy machinery, so your employer should provide full training on how to use each piece of equipment.

If you’re concerned that your working environment is unsafe, you should address this with your employer. They have a duty to make reasonable adjustments for the safety of you and your colleagues.

Why make a farming accident claim?

Farming is physical work. If you’ve been injured in the course of your duties, you may now struggle to carry them out effectively. This means you could end up losing out on work and suffer a loss in earnings as a result.

Making a claim could help to ease your financial pressures. If the organisation or individual responsible for your injury admits liability, your solicitor may be able to apply for interim payments.

Interim payments are taken from your final settlement but can be accessed before the case is settled. This means that you can use them to cover any immediate costs such as household expenses or medical bills.

Taking legal action can also help to draw your employer’s attention to the issue that caused your accident. Many people who decide to bring a claim find reassurance in the fact that the same mistake won’t result in another person getting hurt.

How First4Lawyers can help

Deciding to take legal action after suffering any injury can feel overwhelming. That’s why we work with specialist accident at work solicitors who will strive to secure you the best outcome – so you can focus on getting better.

For these types of claims, we can offer a No Win No Fee service. This means you won’t have to worry about paying anything if your claim is unsuccessful.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Our No Win No Fee solicitors will take a success fee from the compensation you are awarded for a successful claim in the form of a percentage of your damages. This could be up to 25% but it won't be more than that, except in cases of road traffic accidents and housing disrepair. Changing laws mean our solicitors will now take a payment of 35% of the final compensation amount plus VAT for all road traffic accident and housing disrepair claims.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.

I’m self-employed – could I still make a farming accident claim?

Not being able to work due to injury can be particularly worrying if you’re self-employed. And you may be unsure of where you stand in terms of making a claim for compensation.

Many self-employed farmers and agricultural workers are contracted by larger businesses. And if it can be proven that they failed to keep your working environment safe, you could bring legal action against them.

If you’ve suffered an accident as a self-employed worker and you’re not sure if you can claim, get in touch to see if we can help.

Is there a time limit on when I can start a claim?

There’s usually a three-year time limit on taking legal action after suffering an accident at work. If you’re unsure of whether you can claim, our claims advisors can discuss this in further detail with you.

We’d recommend starting the claims process as early as you can, though. This will make it easier to access your medical records and evidence of the accident – such as CCTV, an accident book or photographs.

You may also find it easier to remember the details of what happened if you bring a claim early. This will apply to any witnesses to the accident, too. These details will ultimately help your solicitor to present the strongest case possible.

How much compensation could I receive for a farming accident?

Every accident and injury is different. This means that without discussing your case with you, it’s difficult to say exactly what you could be entitled to in compensation.

For a rough idea of what you might receive, you can try our compensation calculator. Or speak to one of our claims advisors about the details of your injury. You’ll then be assigned a solicitor who may be able to give you an estimate of how much your claim could be worth.

If your claim is successful, the compensation you receive will cover the pain and suffering you’ve experienced, as well as any financial losses you’ve endured as a direct result of your accident.

This means you should try to keep any evidence of money spent on addressing your injury. This could include things like proof of travel to and from medical appointments, any medication or treatment like physiotherapy.

I think I could have a claim – what should I do?

If you’ve suffered an accident at work and you’d like to start the claims process, the first thing to do is speak to our knowledgeable claims advisors. You can speak to our team by calling the number at the top of the screen or by filling in our online form.

Once you get in touch, we’ll talk through the details of your accident with you and give you the space to ask any questions you may have. There’s no obligation to go forward with a claim after speaking to us – this will be entirely up to you.

Why choose First4Lawyers?

Whether you want to make an accident and injury claim, or need a solicitor for personal or business law matters - our friendly team are here to help, 24/7.

Free initial consultation

Our fully trained legal advisors are happy to offer initial guidance and advice for free

No Win No Fee*

No Win No Fee solicitors - you don't pay a penny up front when making a claim

No pressure

We offer advice with no obligation.  We never cold-call or apply pressure to our customers


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing