Have you been a victim of wrongful dismissal? Speak to our employment solicitors

The laws surrounding wrongful dismissal are complex, making it easy to get confused. But, with First4Lawyers’ help, that doesn’t have to deter you from taking legal action.

Not sure what you need?

Request a callback at a time that is convenient to you, or call us 24/7 on 0808 159 9899

If you have been dismissed from your job and you think that your employer may be in breach of the terms of your contract, it is highly advisable that you seek the advice of experts.

What is wrongful dismissal?

Wrongful dismissal happens when your employer breaks the terms of your contract when dismissing you. 

Many people confuse wrongful dismissal with unfair dismissal. Wrongful dismissal relates to the terms of your contract, whereas unfair dismissal relates to your statutory rights. However, you should be aware that dismissal can be both unfair and wrongful. 

Unlike in unfair dismissal claims, there is no need for any qualifying period to claim wrongful dismissal.

What counts as wrongful dismissal?

You can claim wrongful dismissal if you are fired without notice, or with less notice than stipulated in your contract. It might also arise out of a constructive dismissal.

Constructive dismissal counts as wrongful dismissal when your employer commits a serious breach of contract, and you feel that you have no choice but to resign because of that.

How much notice am I entitled to?

Your employment contract or handbook should define how much notice you are entitled to. This cannot be less – but it can be more – than the period that the law guarantees you as part of your statutory rights.

The minimum period your employer must give you will depend on the length of time you have worked for the company.

If you have been in the same job non-stop for a period of one month to two years, the law says that you should receive a minimum notice period of one week. Your employer does not need to give you any notice if you have been working for them for less than one month.

If you have been working continuously for your employer for two years or more, your employer has a legal obligation to give you a minimum of one week’s notice for each full year you worked for them (up to a maximum of 12 weeks).

However, an employment tribunal or court may rule you’re entitled to “reasonable notice”, which may constitute a period of more than 12 weeks.

Your employer may offer to pay you to cover your notice period in lieu of having you work the notice period. This is called ‘payment in lieu of notice’ (PILON). This allows your employer to end your employment without giving you any notice.

To do this without breaching its contractual obligations, your employer must pay you for all the wages you would receive if you were to work through your notice period.

Why choose First4Lawyers?

Expert legal services for your individual needs - whether it's for home, family or work.

Free initial case review
Discuss - Orange - Small

Our fully trained legal advisors are happy to offer initial guidance and advice for free

Fixed price consultation
NWNF - Orange - Small

Phone or face-to-face meeting with a legal expert from just £149

No pressure
Manage - Orange - Small

We offer advice with no obligation.  We never cold-call or apply pressure to our customers

Get in Touch

How much compensation will I get for wrongful dismissal?

This will depend on your specific circumstances. The law stipulates that the aim of claiming damages is to compensate the losses you incur as a direct result of the breach of contract.

You cannot therefore make a claim to simply punish your employer. Instead, the law intends that the money you receive should put you in the same position that you would be in had you not lost your job.

How do you claim wrongful dismissal?

You can pursue your claim either before an employment tribunal, or in a civil law court (County Court or High Court). The option you choose may depend on the amount of compensation that you are entitled to.

You have to make an employment tribunal case within three months of being sacked.  If you go to County or High Court you have six years from the date you were dismissed.

For example, an employment tribunal cannot award more than £25,000 for wrongful dismissal. However, such a restriction does not apply in the civil courts.

I think I may have a claim for wrongful dismissal – what should I do?

If you believe you have case for wrongful dismissal, you may want help to understand exactly where you stand. Losing your job is never easy, but a successful claim may help to ease any issues that arise afterwards.

Whatever the specific circumstances of your wrong dismissal claim, First4Lawyers can help. We can assign expert employment lawyers with specialist knowledge of your type of case.

To get the guidance you need, simply contact us. If you’d rather we call you, use the Request a Callback feature at the top of the screen, or fill in our enquiry form.

Get in touch today to discuss your requirements 08005677866

Do you have a legal question?

  • Get it answered within 60 minutes when you call during normal office hours.
  • Free initial advice from our trained legal advisors.

Customers rate us 'excellent'

We have a five star score from thousands of reviews on Trustpilot

Read reviews

How to guides

Learn about this area of law and what you need to know:

Get in touch today to discuss your requirements 08005677866

It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing