Leave a message

24 hours a day, 7 days a week
from a mobile 0333 577 8866

Not sure what you need? Request a callback
Full Name *
Contact Number *
How Can We Help?
Best Callback Time?

24 hours a day, 7 days a week
from a mobile 0333 577 8866

Not sure what you need? Request a callback
Full Name *
Contact Number *
How Can We Help?
Best Callback Time?

Personal Injury Claims Frequently Asked Questions

In the process of trying to get your life back on track after a personal injury, you may want to consider claiming for compensation. We understand that might mean you have a lot of questions about personal injury claims and the legal side. You can always talk to us to get answers from our legal experts, but we’ve also explained some of the most frequently answered questions below.

In these FAQs, you’ll find straight-forward, no-nonsense answers to some of the most common questions about personal injury claims. Explore the questions below, and if you have any other queries about personal injury – or if you’re ready to start your claim – please either get in touch or request a callback at the top of the screen for free, no-obligation advice.

  • Am I entitled to make a public liability claim?

    Yes, depending on where the incident happened. If you have been injured on public property, private property or council property, it’s possible that you could have a right to claim compensation. These injuries could happen on the road, on pavements, in shops or public buildings (e.g. banks, pubs and supermarkets).

    Cases for these types of claims depend on whether the accident took place as a result of actions, or negligence on the behalf of those responsible for the area where you had the accident.

    Public liability claims are quite commonplace. However, they mainly occur as a result of poor highway maintenance, something which local councils are directly responsible for, as many allude to on their websites.

    If you’ve sustained an injury as a result of an accident on public property, you could be eligible to claim compensation for your injuries. If you’ve got questions about whether or not you could be eligible to make a claim, then call one of our experts who will assess your case and give you advice on your next step.

  • Can I claim against the council?

    Yes, you can make a claim for compensation against the council if you have an accident and sustain an injury in a public space. Public spaces include pavements, roads and council-run buildings. You may also be able to make a claim against the council if you become ill while living in a house owned or maintained by your local authority.

    Local councils are responsible for the maintenance of such things as:

    • Roads
    • Pavements and sidewalks
    • Public parks
    • Libraries
    • Most schools and colleges, which aren’t privately-run
    • Town and city squares
    • Community centres
    • Council houses/flats

    For all of the above, the council are directly responsible for ensuring that each are maintained to the highest possible standard, posing no health and safety risks whatsoever. Despite that, some errors are made either through a lack of regular upkeep or poor maintenance.

    One common example of how a local council could be deemed responsible for an accident is if someone sustained an injury after tripping over a cracked or poorly maintained pavement. In this case, the council is at fault for not keeping the pavement in good condition and causing a hazard to the public using it.

    Our experts have dealt with numerous cases in which a person has been injured in a public place, which could have otherwise been avoided if it was properly maintained by the local authority.

    If you’ve had an accident in a public place and are unsure if you’re eligible to claim compensation, our experts will assess the circumstances of your accident and offer you advice on your next steps.

  • Can I still claim if my accident happened abroad?

    Yes, if your accident happened abroad you may still be eligible to make a claim for compensation. However, this type of claim is subject to certain conditions, and eligibility will depend on a variety of factors.

    Accidents abroad are very common and can happen to anyone. Some of the most common accidents can include things such as suffering food poisoning from the hotel restaurant, slipping on a wet floor in a hotel or tripping over on a poorly-maintained footpath.

    Other scenarios you may be able to claim compensation for include: sport-related accidents from using damaged, faulty or poorly-maintained equipment, sustaining an injury during an arranged excursion and road traffic accidents (including accidents when travelling as a passenger in a car, coach or taxi).

    Making a claim for a personal injury that took place abroad can be a complicated and complex process, largely because of the difference in personal injury law between the UK and foreign countries.

    Those who booked their trip with a travel agent or as part of a package holiday are more likely to be able to claim against the travel company once returning to the UK, as opposed to the services used abroad (such as a hotel or restaurant).

    At First4lawyers, we work with solicitors who are experienced in making claims for accidents that have happened abroad, for people who were either on holiday or travelling on a business trip. While some cases tend to be more complex, our panel of solicitors will assess your individual situation and suggest the right course of action to claim the compensation you deserve.

  • Can I still get compensation if no one was convicted?

    Yes, you can still claim compensation even if the person responsible for the criminal assault isn’t convicted or brought to justice. If you have been injured in a violent crime or have been the victim of a criminal assault, then it is still possible for you to claim compensation for your injuries, even if the suspect is found not guilty in their trial.

    You are still able to claim compensation if the identity of the attacker is unknown, if there is insufficient evidence of who actually carried out the assault or if the prosecution is unsuccessful. Other scenarios may hinder the success of your claim, but our solicitors are experts in their field and will do everything they can to bring your case to the right conclusion.

    In some cases, it may be advisable to liaise with the police to try and find the identity of the person responsible for committing the assault. However, it is possible to claim compensation, even if the identity is unknown or if the suspect is not found guilty in court. Our experts will assess the individual circumstances on a case by case basis, and will advise you on the right steps to take in your situation.

    If you have any questions about what is involved in this type of claim, contact one of our experts, who will be able to offer you advice and guidance regarding this process.

  • How do I make a personal injury claim?

    In the first instance, you can either give us a call or complete our online enquiry form, and we’ll give you a call back at a time that suits you.

    During our initial conversation, one of our experts will talk to you about the reason for making your claim and the circumstances of the incident (what happened and when) and if you sustained any injuries as a result.

    Our experts can assess the details of your claim and will advise you as to whether or not you have a case to be compensated for your injuries. We don’t believe in encouraging false claims, so we’ll only advise you to start a claim if we believe you have grounds for doing so. If you decide to start your claim with us, our advisors will talk you through the next part of the process.

    An independent panel of solicitors, selected by First4lawyers, will determine what your claim is likely to be worth if you are successful. You’ll then enter into an agreement with your solicitor who will be acting on your behalf to make your claim. They will then file a letter of claim to the person responsible for causing your accident (the defendant). 

  • Am I able to claim compensation if I’ve been injured in an assault?

    Yes, if you have been the victim of an assault then you can make a claim for compensation. Claiming compensation after an assault can be a complicated process as the injuries you have sustained as a result of the assault are subject to certain criteria set out by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CCIA).

    At First4lawyers, we can guide you through this process, and explain the criteria set out by the CCIA, before you contact them.

    You’ll need the reference number from the police when you reported the assault along with any contact details for your doctor, if you received treatment for your injuries.

    You can claim compensation if you have been injured in an assault or violent crime in the last two years and it takes around 15 minutes to complete the online form. If your application for a claim has been rejected, it’s possible to appeal the decision to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal.

    We understand that the amount you receive in compensation doesn’t make up for what you have been through, but, at the very least, it acknowledges that you have been a victim and that you deserve compensation for your injuries.

    Our experts can offer you help and advice with anything you are unsure about. We understand that this is a difficult and challenging process, so we’re here to answer your questions and offer you advice about making your claim. 

Get in touch today - we can help with your claim

Not sure what you need? Request a callback
Full Name *
Contact Number *
How Can We Help?
Best Callback Time?