Breast Cancer Awareness Month Kicks Off

Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2019 has kicked off, giving organisations around the world the chance to highlight the importance of awareness of the disease.

The campaign will see a range of events and fundraising to support research to combat the disease.

This includes ‘wear it pink’ day on 18 October. The aim is “to wear pink, raise money and help make life-saving breast cancer research happen”, says organiser Breast Cancer Now. The charity has encouraged people to host fundraising events – from bake sales to competitions and games – in support of the campaign.

Who is more susceptible to breast cancer?

Breast Cancer Now has pointed to a number of risk factors leading to a higher likelihood of developing the disease. This includes “being a woman” as 99% of new cases are in women. However, that still leaves 1% of cases in men, who should be aware that breast cancer does affect them too. Roughly 55,000 women and 370 men are diagnosed with the disease annually in the UK.

Also among the risk factors highlighted by Breast Cancer Now is ageing – 80% of breast cancer cases are in women over the age of 50. In men, the majority of those who develop the disease are aged over 60.

A family history of breast cancer is also an indicator of a higher risk of developing the disease.

Breast Cancer Now has advised women to lower their chances of getting breast cancer by making “small healthy changes and living well”. This includes drinking less alcohol, maintaining a healthy weight and keeping physically active.

Women not checking for signs of cancer

Research by Breast Cancer Now found that in 2018, less than half (48%) of British women surveyed were regularly checking their breasts for signs of cancer, while almost one in ten (8%) had never checked at all.

According to the organisation, the most common reasons women gave for not checking their breasts regularly were because they forget (41%) and that they don’t feel confident in checking (21%).

The charity said there are a number of signs and symptoms of breast cancer – include a lump or swelling in the breast, chest or armpit, changes in skin texture or the size and shape of the breast – so it is vital to ensure you are aware of any changes.

Almost nine in 10 breast cancer sufferers survive for five years or more, making it vital to catch the disease in the early stages. It has been predicted that by 2030, 1.2 million people will be alive after being diagnosed with breast cancer as survival rates improve through better diagnosis and treatment.

But not all breast cancer cases inspire hopefulness. If you have experienced the trauma of a breast cancer misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis or had your cancer missed altogether, you could make a medical negligence claim for compensation.

To discuss your case with our compassionate and understanding team, just give us a call or request a call back at the top of your screen. You can also start your claim here and we’ll be in touch.


Fill in our simple form and
get a call back at a time to suit you.

Or talk to our team on :

0808 256 2340

By submitting an enquiry to First4Lawyers you agree to the terms and conditions of service as outlined in our Privacy Policy.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing