Can I Claim Compensation for Anxiety After an Accident?

When we think about harm caused after an accident, we tend to think about physical injuries. But that isn’t the only way you might be hurt.

Accidents can be traumatic. They can be hugely stressful events that can have serious mental and emotional consequences.

If you’ve been hurt in an accident, suffering from anxiety a common effect – particularly when it wasn’t your fault. Many others have suffered from this condition.

What may surprise you is the fact you could claim compensation for your anxiety after being involved in an accident.

Suffering from anxiety

If you’re not whether you’re suffering from anxiety, the NHS has a list of symptoms that you might be affected by. These can include behavioural and mental changes, such as:

  • Constantly feeling on edge
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling a sense of dread
  • Irritability
  • Restlessness

The NHS has also explained that you might find it difficult to go to work if you’re suffering from anxiety. And this could affect your finances.

But anxiety doesn’t only have mental and emotional symptoms. You could suffer from physical effects, including:

  • Dizziness
  • Dry mouth
  • Fast, strong or irregular heartbeat
  • Headaches
  • Insomnia
  • Muscle tension and aches
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Tiredness

You may be experiencing symptoms like these without realising that you are suffering from anxiety. And if this is the case, you may not have realised that your accident is responsible for it.

Accidents can cause many psychological injuries – from general anxiety to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The NHS has listed serious accidents as the sort of event that could cause PTSD. So if you think you may be suffering from anxiety or PTSD after an accident, it’s important to get medical attention. Your health should always be your priority.

Your GP is a good starting point. They could refer you for specialist treatment if they think you’ll need it.

What can I claim for after an accident?

If you’ve been hurt in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you could claim compensation.

You could be entitled to compensation for your specific injuries. What you could receive will depend on the injury, how long your recovery is expected to take and how it has affected your life, among other factors.

The same is true for a psychological injury, which anxiety could be classed as. This means that you could be able to claim compensation for anxiety after an accident.

How much you’ll be entitled to will depend on how severe your anxiety is. If it takes longer to recover from, you will be entitled to more compensation. This could be particularly helpful if your physical injuries or anxiety is stopping you from working.

Compensation for injury claims is broken down into two parts: general damages and special damages.

General damages cover the pain and suffering you’ve been through because of your accident. This includes any anxiety or emotional distress you’ve experienced. The more severe your injury is, the more compensation you will generally be entitled to. In addition, if you have more than one injury, you could claim compensation for each of them.

Special damages are awarded for any financial losses you’ve suffered because of the accident. This could cover a loss of earnings if you’ve been unable to work. It also covers any medical expenses that you’ve had to pay for, such as medication.

If you have any questions about what you could claim for or how much you may be entitled to, don’t hesitate to ask your solicitor.

How to claim compensation for anxiety

To find out if you can make a claim for anxiety after your accident, get in touch with First4Lawyers. We’ll discuss your situation for free and with no obligation to go ahead with a claim.

If we think you have a claim, we’ll match you to one of our specialist personal injury solicitors. If they then agree that you have a strong claim, they’ll take on your claim on a No Win No Fee basis. That means there is nothing to pay upfront and nothing to pay if your claim is unsuccessful.

As part of your accident claim, you’ll usually need a medical assessment. This will involve a medical professional examining your injuries – including any psychological problems – and issuing a report, which will typically include their opinion on how long your recovery may take.

If you’ve had treatment for your anxiety, your medical records could be used as evidence. This is so that your solicitor can show how you’ve been affected by the accident.

You can start your claim online or give us a call – whatever is convenient for you. We’re here to make sure you have the legal guidance you need to claim the compensation you’re entitled to.


Fill in our simple form and
get a call back at a time to suit you.

Or talk to our team on :

0808 256 2340

By submitting an enquiry to First4Lawyers you agree to the terms and conditions of service as outlined in our Privacy Policy.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing