Leave a message

First4Lawyers logofirst4lawyers
  • Mobile navigation
  • 0333 920 8814
  • Request a callback
  • Request a callback
    Not sure what you need? Request a callback
    Full Name *
    Contact Number *
    How Can We Help?
    Best Callback Time?
  • Get in touch
Not sure what you need? Request a callback
Full Name *
Contact Number *
How Can We Help?
Best Callback Time?

Employment tribunals - get employment law advice from First4Lawyers

Do you feel you may have a good case for compensation against your current or former employer? If so, you should take action quickly.

You can make your claim within three months of an unfair incident occurring. While this may seem like a long time, you should know that employment law is complex and there are all kinds of procedures you must follow to bring your case to a tribunal.

With this in mind, you may feel you need the help and advice of experts. First4Lawyers are here to help guide you through the process. We will assign specialist employment solicitors to your case to increase your chances of receiving the outcome you want. Contact us for more information. 

What are employment tribunals?

An employment tribunal is an independent judicial body that aims to resolve disputes between employers and employees. The types of claims you may take to a tribunal include, or relate to:

  • Discrimination (such as gender, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, age or disability)
  • Unfair dismissal
  • Wrongful dismissal
  • Redundancy payments
  • Unequal pay
  • Deductions from wages.

Employment tribunals are less formal than the court process. Yet, the two processes are still alike in many ways. For example, almost all hearings are open to the public. In addition, tribunals cannot give out legal advice, and they will require you and others involved to give evidence under oath.

Usually, you will have to make a claim to tribunal within three months of the problem occurring, or your employment ending.

How do I bring a claim to an employment tribunal?

Assuming that you have tried to resolve your issue informally, but were unsuccessful, the next step will be to seek mediation from the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS). The organisation lays out a step by step process for ACAS early conciliation on its website.

After you submit your ACAS form, a member of the organisation will likely contact you by telephone. The sole purpose of ACAS involvement is to help reach an agreement between you and your employer.

As a result, the ACAS representative may put pressure on both parties to reach an early settlement.

With this in mind, please be aware that you may be able to get the type of compensation you’re looking for by taking the case to the tribunal. If you wish to seek advice before making a decision, it may be wise to contact employment law solicitors, such as First4Lawyers, for help.

If you wish to pursue the issue and make a claim to an employment tribunal, you need to fill out an ET1 form. Please note that the tribunal will not accept your claim unless the ACAS stage is complete.

As ACAS has the power to extend their involvement for up to one month, it would be advisable to start the process early. This will allow you to take the case to the tribunal within the required three month period.

Any step of the way, First4Lawyers is there if you need help.

What happens if I lose the case?

If you lose your case, you can ask the tribunal to reconsider its decision. To do this, you must write to the tribunal office stating your desire to appeal the judgement within 14 days of getting the decision. Send your letter to the tribunal office that heard your claim. You can ask your solicitor for assistance.

What happens if I win the case?

If you win your case, the tribunal can order the respondent (your current or former employer) to do certain things. These may include:

  • Paying you compensation.
  • Paying any witness expenses you’ve paid.
  • Giving you your job back, if appropriate.
  • Improving your working conditions.

I want legal help and advice regarding my claim – what should I do?

If you intend to make a claim concerning any area of employment, you may need the services of employment solicitors to help decide the strength and scope of your case.

At First4Lawyers, we assign specialists to deal swiftly with a diverse range of employment claims. So no matter the circumstances, you can be sure that by using our service, you will receive all of the legal help and advice you need.

For more information, get in touch with First4Lawyers and we can guide you on the next steps to take.

How to guides

Learn more about this area of law and what you need to know:

How To Work Out Redundancy Pay

This guide will help you fully understand the factors used to determine redundancy pay.

Read more

How To Take An Employer To A Tribunal

There are a few important factors to remember before you start the employment tribunal process.

Read more

How To Report Bullying At Work

Our guide tells you what you need to know about bullying and harassment at work.

Read more

How To Prove Constructive Dismissal

If you feel you were forced to resign because of your employer’s actions, you could have a case for constructive dismissal.

Read more

How To Claim For Unfair Dismissal

If you feel you’ve been unfairly dismissed from a job, you may be able to make a claim through an employment tribunal.

Read more

Understanding your rights to sick pay

In this guide, we’ll help you understanding your rights to sick pay

Read more

Get in touch

Not sure what you need? Request a callback
Full Name *
Contact Number *
How Can We Help?
Best Callback Time?