What is family law?
Family law is an area that focuses on any legal matter involved in people joining or separating as family, or when one relation takes legal action against another. Family is important, but sometimes complicated too.
We’re there for all your legal needs when everything’s going right, such as the official processes around civil partnerships and adoption, but also for when things aren’t going quite as you expected, like divorce and asking for an injunction on a spouse.
- Civil partnership – Designed to allow same-sex couples nearly all the same rights as a heterosexual couple, a civil partnership comes with similar financial, tax and benefit effects. We can help you discover all the legal effects.
- Pre-nuptial agreements – These can ensure what’s supposed to be the best day of your life doesn’t turn into your biggest regret. Many people have already benefitted from our advice and guidance.
- Divorce – Our divorce solicitors can walk you past all the legal traps and pitfalls associated with marriage separation, making sure things like the decree absolute (order that ends a marriage) are properly finalised.
- Civil partnership dissolution – Our solicitors are experts when it comes to the ins and outs of undoing civil partnerships, especially in how to resolve transfer of property and pension sharing.
- Cohabitation agreements – As cohabitees don’t have the same benefits as those in a marriage or civil partnership, it’s easy to be caught out regarding custody of children and property ownership if there’s a separation.
- Finances after separation – After a relationship breaks down the last thing you want is the stress of splitting money, assets and shared bank accounts. We can lighten the load.
- Injunctions – Do you know on what grounds you can gain an injunction on a spouse or civil partner? Our specialists do and are happy to help you.
- Child matters and contact agreements – We will work for the fairest resolution when couples split and disagreements happen over custody, visitation or any other subject where a child is involved.
- Adoption – Welcoming a new child entails all manner of registrations, notifications and other paperwork. We can make sure you cross every ‘t’ and dot every ‘i’!
- Domestic violence – Our solicitors are experts and can advise on the next step if you or a member of your family has been a victim of abuse in the home.
Our family law solicitors eat, sleep, and breathe family law, which is why your best bet is to get in touch if you have any matter you need legal help with. You can Request a Callback at the top of the page.
Why Choose First4Lawyers?
What do you need to know about your family law case?
Can I choose my own solicitor?
Even if you call us for advice about your case, you can still be represented by a solictor of your choice. When you work with a solicitor from our panel, you can be assured that they have the necessary skills and experience to bring your case to a successful resolution.
How does First4Lawyers select solicitors for its panel?
We screen all solicitors working with us by checking their credentials and qualifications and ensuring that they are in good standing with the Law Society. We pride ourselves on our Standards of Service and, as such, every solicitor on our panel must abide by them.
The facts about family law
Need a hand? First4Lawyers will:
Review your legal requirements for free
Give you a competitive quote if any work needs to be paid for
Connect you with a pre-vetted solicitor working to our 36 point customer service charter
Why Choose First4Lawyers?
We provide a friendly, approachable personal law service
We have won numerous awards for our work
We have a panel of expert solicitors who know everything about personal law
We can get in touch at a time which is convenient for you